Stephen Um has a great post on The Resurgence about being a missionary in your city. He gives 5 steps to get there—each of which will take all of us the rest of our lives.
- Get Grounded in the Gospel: no gospel, no mission.
- Learn Your City’s Story: how can you tell people to follow Jesus if you don’t know them.
- Engage in the Life of Your City: no one will know you love your city if you aren’t a vital part of it.
- Discern Your City’s Idols: what do people follow instead of Jesus?
- Retell Your City’s Story with the Gospel: idols don’t satisfy; show people how the gospel does.